Pages

Visit "The Sound Of Music" Sites In Austria

"The Sound Of Music" was one of my favorite flicks growing up.  My dad was too cheap to buy the actual movie, and I had to rely on my bootleg VHS.   I had watched the movie so much that the VHS ripped from the end of the reel, and every time I wanted to watch it I had to open up the VHS and tape the film together.  Nowadays I have the movie on DVD.

I took a two hour train ride to Salzburg from Munich.  I met a chick named Casey from New York on the train who had tried traveling to Russia without a visa (she didn't think she needed one).  She got stuck in an immigration room for almost 2 days without food until a Russian woman finally helped her purchase airline tickets to Munich.  We decided to tour Salzburg together, while trying to focus on some of the sites from "The Sound Of Music" (thank goodness she was a fan as well).

Our first stop was the Mirabell Gardens, one of the primary locations of the "Do Re Mi" scene.


The Mirabell Gardens is a beautiful garden that is free to enter.  I couldn't help myself by singing "Do Re Mi" while walking around the gardens.


My new pal, Casey, even got into the spirit.  She was asking me, "How should I pose?"  I told her to just hum the song in her head and a fun pose would come out of her...


Also, doesn't she look like Blake Lively?  Blake is totally her Doppelganger.

Do you remember this scene?  When Maria and the Von Trapp kids go running down a garden tunnel?


Well that garden tunnel is still there....and maybe it isn't as lush as it once was, but it still made me go  skipping down it....


Also during the Do Re Mi song, the children visited the hilarious Dwarf Garden.  The Dwarf Garden is filled with borderline creepy dwarf statues.  Some of them have tumors, hunchbacks, and one looked like he was ready to hurl.....


...and you know what they say....when you see a statue ready to hurl, you imitate it....


At the opposite end of Mirabell Gardens was this beautiful entrance where this famous scene was filmed....


Unfortunately, I didn't have the Von Trapp kids to make this shot extra fun, but just imagine them in spirit....


One of the best views of Salzburg is from the Monchberg.  From the Monchberg you get a great view of the Dom and the Festung Hohensalzburg. 


To get this amazing view you can hike to the top, or take an elevator lift for a few euros each way.  It is definitely worth it, and it beats the view from the fortress since you can actually SEE the fortress from this viewpoint!

If I had more time in Salzburg I would have loved to visit the "Sixteen Going On Seventeen" gazebo, and the Von Trapp house.   Just another reason to visit the beautiful Salzburg again!

Date Accomplished:  April 22nd, 2013

4 comments:

Dannie Sowden said...

Oh wow! Looks fantastic! My friend is going to Austria soon to repeat several of the 'Sound of music' scenes as she loved it too. It all sounds fantastic and how cool to recreate the scenes again. I love that tunnel, it looks really long.

Your poor friend, how awful to be stuck in that situation in Russia!! Perhaps goes to show the importance of doing a bit of research before you plan a trip! Even bordering countries can't just get in to Russia without a visa, so don't think there's much hope for the rest of us.xx

allison geary said...

I wouldn't miss this for the world! The gazebo would be the main attraction i'd be interested in seeing- but how fun! And how fun that you went with a chic you met on the train- I love stories like that!

CeCe said...

I really wanted to see the gazebo too, but the place was closed at that time of the year.

CeCe said...

She was living in a poor country in Maldova as a medical intern so didn't have much internet access to do her research. So she asked her dad, and the locals in town, and they all said she didn't need one!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...