Pages

The Foodie Adventures: New Orleans, Louisiana

August 29th, 2012

When I'm traveling I refuse to go to McDonald's, or just about any place that I can find back home.  Yeah, I admit, I'm a bit of a food snob, however it was no problem avoiding Maccas (Aussie slang!) in New Orleans with its abundance of restaurant choices.


My first stop was Jacques-Imo's Cafe, who claims to have "Real Nawlins Food."  They didn't have me at hello, they had me at free cornbread muffins. They were delicious, and I had no shame asking for a second helping.  For my main entree I got the stuffed pork chops which were okay, not a very Nawlins choice, but after a long day of traveling I was craving some meat!  The other white meat. The portion was huge, and a doggy bag was definitely needed.


For dessert we went to The Creole Creamery for some Ice Cream.  The restaurant had a cute diner feel, and although they had tasty traditional flavors, the winning edge came from flavor choices such as Lavender Honey, Wedding Cake & Champagne, and Thai Basil Coconut.  Cash Only!

The following day I had some beignets at Cafe Du Monde, and some jambalaya, gumbo and pralines in the French Quarter.  


During the evening it was time to feel like a princess at Commander's Palace.  Commander's is one of the more popular, and fancy schmancy restaurants in New Orleans.   No sporting my flip flops here.  I love to wine and dine, but considering that I travel a lot I do still have to watch my credit card use.  Thankfully, it was restaurant week, and for less than $40 we were able to enjoy a 3 course meal (plus a cocktail).  SCORE!!

I really enjoyed the entire experience and ambiance.  When they brought over our appetizers we were surrounded by a mob of people, they had three people each holding one plate, and a few additional people trailing behind them offering us condiments, "Hello madame, would you like some sherry with your turtle soup?"  Okay, I'll take some sherry, just because you made it sound so fancy.  I kept waiting for them to break out in song and dance to the tune "Be Our Guest" from Beauty and The Beast.  It would have been so fitting.

The Bread Pudding Soufflé topped off the evening.  Divine.


For brunch we went to Refuel, the name being so appropriate since we needed some refueling after our crazy night on Bourbon Street filled with Hurricanes and Hand Grenades.  I settled for a simple grilled sandwich with a side of grits.  My friend decided to have something a bit heavier and got the brunch special called a Hans Solo.  The description ended with, "May The Force Be With You."  Tee Hee. Geeky, I know.  The pancake was bigger than her head, and I think it was made only for Chewbacca to finish.


After pretty-fying ourselves, and washing every inch of our bodies after our little airboat ride through the swamp,  our appetites were ready for more food.  We headed to Boucherie, a tiny house turned restaurant extraordinaire.  We didn't realize how tiny the place was, so it was no surprise that we were told we needed reservations to eat inside the house.

Feeling defeated, we were quickly offered a spot on the patio. Besides battling the occasional insect now and again, we had a great meal.  The winning dish for me was the Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding.  I don't even like Krispy Kreme donuts, but it was easily the best bread pudding I've ever had!  With thousands of calories raging through my system, it was time to burn some of it off on  Frenchmen Street.


Speaking of donuts, the following day for breakfast we indulged on more sweet succulent goodies at Blue Dot Donuts.  Maple Glazed Donuts sprinkled with crispy bacon bits (way better than Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland!), and Red Velvet Donuts.  What is it about red velvet donuts that makes me smile like a 5 year old child at Disneyland? 


For lunch we were in dire need of some Po-Boy's.  Prior to going to New Orleans a friend highly recommend getting some Fried Oyster Po-Boy's.  I got just that at Freret Street Po-Boy. While eating one of the best sandwiches I've ever had, we watched the New Orleans Saints play football with a room full of locals. There is no question that Nawlin's folk LOVE their football.

The downfall of eating the Fried Oyster Po-Boy?  The huge disappointment that we have not one decent Po-boy place in San Diego.  I know, I know.  Cry Me A River.


My last dinner in New Orleans *sob sob* was at Dante's Kitchen.  Another house turned restaurant joint.  Not only do they give you free Molasses Cornbread, but the food is finger lickin' good.  I tried justifying my disgusting finger lickin' habits by ordering an appetizer called Pot Likka.  I mean, come on, the name of the dish is pretty much asking me to lick all the amazing flavors off my fingers.

For my main entree I got 'Chicken Roasted Under A Brick,' and if simply cooking chicken under a brick makes it taste that good then I am headed to Home Depot right now! Okay, maybe it involves more than just roasting it under a brick.

New Orleans food certainly did not disappoint.  I'm excited to go back in January, but this time I'll be attending a little event called Mardi Gras.  Maybe you've heard of it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...