Pages

Stand On The Tropic Of Capricorn

A few years ago when I was planning my trip to Australia, I had planned an itinerary that included a photo stop at the Tropic of Capricorn.  I remember learning about it in school, and in case you need a bit of a refresher, the Tropic of Capricorn is the most southerly latitude at which the sun can shine directly overhead.  This parallel marks the farthest point south at which the sun can be seen directly overhead at noon (okay...I ain't gonna lie, I cheated a little bit and googled that).  I missed the opportunity to stand at the Tropic of Capricorn when I decided to spend more time in New Zealand rather than go up the coast in Australia (I hope to eventually still do that one of these days!).

Me at the Tropic of Capricorn

Anyways...while traveling through Namibia I got the chance to finally stand at the Tropic of Capricorn.  There was a huge sign at the side of the "road" practically in the middle of nowhere.    We stopped the truck, got out, and took some pictures.  Before we knew it a ton of other trucks lined up for their turn to take pictures!  In Africa, it's always exciting to find other travelers on the road, so seeing a mecca of other travelers was fun!  Who knows if it was the actual Tropic of Capricorn (or just a nice spot to place the sign), but they coulda fooled me!
What happened when I told Jaco and Gladman to jump!  

Date Accomplished:  September 13th, 2010

3 comments:

101 Things Before You Die said...

My big item on my list is to stand on the international date line.

Things to Do said...

Haha - that's second shop is every jumping picture I take. I'm always either still on the ground or just an inch off of it.

CeCe said...

I was in a group of 10+ girls attempting to do a jump shot and I was the only one not in the air! LAME!

Where is a good spot to stand on the International Date Line?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...