In the movie, Kirsten Dunst had made Orlando's character a playlist of songs that matched his journey on the road. So I brought with me my iPod and a playlist of songs for my trip, as well as my new GPS, and a map I got for free at AAA. I started my journey early in the morning. Being the first customer of the day, the car rental place gave me a brand new car for my trip down. :)
My rental down the coast...it was its first journey as well
I enjoyed jamming to my playlist as I made my way South. I remember hearing on the news that brush fires were ravaging the coast, but their was no obvious indication of that as I headed towards Big Sur. As I winded down the coast I started seeing smoke, and helicopters carrying water towards the fire. After driving over an hour South, I finally saw my first sign of an upcoming road closure! What! A road closure in both directions on a one way road? You gotta be kidding me!
On my solo road trip
When I turned around I started to hear my GPS freaking out. It kept telling me to turn back around towards the road closure. I turned it off until I got closer to Carmel, and I was crossing my fingers I could figure out finding another way to my hotel. I stopped at a gas station and turned my GPS on, and yet again it was telling me to go back towards the road closure. Ughh! Okay. What to do, what to do?!? Wait...I got those free maps at AAA. I'll use that! I open it up and even get more confused! At this point, I am so frustrated, and I start crying! Yes. Pathetic tears! I was tired. Hungry. I just wanted to get to my hotel room!
I'm the only one on the road!
The best part of my solo road trip? That for a big portion of the journey I felt like I was the only one on the road. The Pacific Coast Highway is definitely a must, and taking a road trip on your own to clear your head is even more of a necessity!
Date Accomplished: July 1st, 2008
5 comments:
I probably would have been frazzled and started crying as well. Whenever I get frustrated I burst into tears. Glad you had the trusty map to guide you in the right direction!
I love that part in Elizabethtown with the CD scrapbook and when I drove home to Illinois one year I created 11 different CD's to try to match the state I would be in at the time.
I totally would have been crying too. The PCH can be very stressful for me to drive sometimes. With all the curves and other drivers who drive super fast, I get a little nervous. I definitely want to do the entire path from Washington to San Diego, but hopefully as the passenger. :)
I get really frustrated with my GPS and it's lack of knowledge about traffic and detours/road work. But at least you had an adventure/a great story to tell. And you also know more about yourself now.
Glad I'm not the only cry baby. :) Hahaha
Miranda- I'd love to drive that again! Does it stop through Portland? I've always wanted to go to Portland!
I absolutely love roads trips! And though I have been on many short ones alone, I have yet to do something over 6 hours. Gonna add that to my Bucket List!
Post a Comment