Pages

Eat Stuffed Pigeon In Egypt

This is the story of the day I decided to eat a flying rat.

I'm sure you are quite aware what a pigeon is...


That's my friend Janice at the Piazza San Marco in Venice surrounded by pigeons.  I didn't want to get near them so I offered to be the photographer from a cautious distance.

When I found out that eating Stuffed Pigeon was a delicacy in Egypt I immediately knew I had to try it.  It goes along with my passion for trying weird eats like Guinea Pig in Peru.

Egyptians have been eating pigeon since 3000BC, so it can't be that bad, right?  Right!?!

While in Luxor, Egypt we went to a restaurant by our hotel that specialized in Stuffed Pigeon.  The catch was that you had to order the Stuffed Pigeon in advance. One day in advance?  Did they have to hunt my pigeon down on the streets?  I became weary, but my guide assured me that the pigeons were not like the ones you find on streets, and are bred solely for food consumption.   We then had the choice of having the pigeon stuffed with rice or corn.  I opted for rice because I was craving some rice (yes, I CRAVE rice!). 

Since I couldn't get my stuffed pigeon that day I opted for some moussaka and took a few bites of my friends camel dish.  I was surprised at how tasty camel was!

The following evening I found myself back at the restaurant for my stuffed pigeon dish.....


Before I continue I have to tell you that I have a texture issue when eating any type of meat.  I hate bones!  I'm a boneless type of gal if ordering any type of meat.  I knew the bone-in pigeon would be a challenge for me.

Just before I could start diving into my dinner this happened.....


City Wide Blackout!   Apparently this happens quite often due to the government.   The restaurant owners profusely apologized for the blackout and began a long rant about the demise of their government.  This was a constant topic throughout my travels through Egypt, and I could feel the increasing tension in every Egyptian person I met!

So they finally lit a few candles, and in almost complete darkness we began to eat our pigeon.  Don't people pay big bucks to dine in the dark at those fancy schmancy restaurants? 

Crack, crack, as I heard wings and pigeon backs breaking in the darkness.  I was beginning to feel queasy.  

I took small bites, but it was really difficult to taste the meat because their wasn't much of it.  I got to the rice and I wasn't impressed.  The flavors and spices they used for the rice were not good at all.  As I started really tearing into the pigeon, I was beginning to feel blessed that we were eating in darkness.  My guide noticed I was having difficulty and told me to just hold the pigeon with both hands and just crack the bones to open it up.  I couldn't do it, so I just kinda ate around the bones.

While some of my friends ate it in its entirety with only the bones remaining, I was only able to eat about 1/4 of it.  I'll stick with the camel next time. 

Date Accomplished:  March 27th, 2013

4 comments:

Dannie Sowden said...

I have a bone issue too!! Crack through the bone to eat it, no thank you! That would be awful. If i am eating meat and i get something hard and boney in it then i have to stop eating it as it makes me feel sick!


I have had pigeon before and really didn't think anything to it, it was so tiny and not much to get to grip with.


Sounds like you really enjoy experimenting with food. You have now got me tempted to try camel when i eventually make it to Egypt.xx

CeCe said...

Glad I'm not the only one! Cartilage bugs me at well, sometimes worst than bone for me.


You definitely have to try camel! It was a tasty meat, we were all surprised.

Simply Paul said...

Like you I enjoy ring unusual foods. This had just been added to my list.

CeCe said...

Right on!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...