Me with my walking safari guides
I had the luxury of going on two walking safaris while in Africa. Most parks do not allow walking safaris due to them being dangerous, but in the Okavango Delta we were allowed to take part in them using caution. Our mokoro ride headed to an island along the Delta, and we were off on our walking safari.
First we needed to learn the safety rules. We had guides (or bodyguards) leading us, and two more behind us. We would have to walk in a single file line, being extremely cautious of our surroundings. One of the guides behind us also carried a gun and knife in case we were in any danger. The last rule was to listen to your guide. If he told you to run, you need to RUN.
One of the most dangerous parts of a walking safari are the Ardvark holes scattered everywhere. They are giant holes that can have hidden animals and snakes *eek* living in them. Anytime you saw a hole you would have to point it out so the person behind you was aware of the hole as well.
During the first walking safari we didn't see many animals except for a few warthogs and impalas.
We saw many termite mounds like the one above, and learned a lot about the vegetation, animal poop and animal tracks (yes I did say poop!). The sun was beginning to set so we had to hurry back to our mokoros. It was a great little intro to walking safaris, and fortunately our second one was much more of an adventure....
Date Accomplished: September 21st & 22nd, 2010

6 comments:
Another fantastic adventure and so great to hear you have more exciting posts still to come. It's lovely that you make the most of life and live it fully.x
I would have been scared shitless if they went over the rules and told me to "run" when they said run. Knowing that I was potentially in danger would have been such a rush for me. I bet you had a blast!
I know I'm crazy behind on post too but no matter when you wrote I always enjoy reading about your adventures!!
Thanks! So do you!
You will have to read part 2 once I write it. We had a few RUN moments. ;)
Thanks! I guess I'd rather be behind on posts, than not posting because I had nothing fun to write about!
Post a Comment