Pages

Ride In An Airboat Through The Swamp

I apologize in advance for the video heavy post....


When visiting my bestie in New Orleans we wanted to do something that was unique to both of us.  Manis and Pedis?  Spa Days?  Nah.  We want to do an Airboat Swamp Tour.  The airboat place was theoretically an hour away from New Orleans; except we got lost, and then horribly sang Elton John's "Tony Danza Tiny Dancer" on the way there.

We certainly aren't gonna win any best hair contest with this photo

When we arrived to the boating area we hopped on our 6-seater airboat versus the 16-seater airboat.  We paid a little extra to be able to go faster.  :)  Luckily we only had to share the boat with our driver, Captain Bibimbap (that's not his real name, but it sounded something like that), and two other tourists.  We put on some attractive ear muffs and off we went....



We went fast, but never "I'm about to fall out of my seat" fast.  I'm not going to complain about the speed because their are gators in them water, y'all.  Captain Bibimbap also played a few airboat tricks with us that got us a little drenched with swamp water.  Needless to say, this germaphobe hopped into the shower as soon as we got home!


The swamp was quite serene, with trees and moss lining the area.  Captain Bibimbap was a wealth of knowledge despite his young age (but I did wonder at times if he was just making some of the stuff up).  He could have fooled me!  I learned a lot about the trees, plants, and the animals of the swamp.....


Okay Captain B!  Enough about plants, we want to see some Gators!  We visited a few spots where Gators are often seen and found two of them, Stella and Stubbs.  I learned that Gators love marshmallows!  Alligators are top-water feeders, and their is something about the marshmallows when thrown in the water that attracts them to it.  Or maybe gators just simply have a sweet tooth like me? 


Captain Bibimbap decided to hand feed the gator, and I thought, "Well he has a doctor (my friend) and a nurse (me) on board in case something happens, but if he falls in I am NOT jumping in there!"  Thankfully he came out alive with no injuries, and the gator enjoyed her little marshmallow snack.


Then we went to my most favorite spot of the tour that I rightfully named, "The Notebook" spot.  I gotta confess, I was hoping Ryan Gosling was going to come around the corner rowing his boat with swans surrounding him like in the movie.  After no sight of Ryan we headed back and called it a day.  My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip, and it was a good break from the city.

Date Accomplished:  September 17th, 2011

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I never knew the marshmallow bit about alligators! You learn something new every day, I guess!

Annette | Bucket List Journey said...

I have AlWAYS wanted to do this, it looks like a freaking cool experience!

CeCe said...

Hah, yeah never knew either...so lesson of the story is...if you fall into a swamp hopefully you don't have marshmallows in your pocket.

CeCe said...

You definitely should...New Orleans is lovely (plus a foodie haven), and it's great this is just an hour out of the city.

Ayngelina said...

That looks like SO much fun, I would love to see New Orleans.

CeCe said...

Definitely. I noticed you are a foodie so you would have a great time. :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I totally want to do that! Now that I live in Florida, I see airboat rides advertised everywhere. It looks like so much fun!

CeCe said...

Yep...no excuses...do it!

Dannie said...

That looks fantastic! How cool and the scenery is outstanding. What a great experience. You really do have some fantastic experiences:-)

CeCe said...

Yes...we definitely don't have anything in Southern California that looks like that. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...