A few months ago I was called by the National Marrow Donor Program cause I was a possible match for someone. I went in to get a few labs drawn and they told me that only 1 out of 12 people that reach that point end up being a match and a donor for a patient. Months go by and I assume I am part of the 11 of 12 that don't end up donating.
Then in early July I get a call telling me that I am a match but that the patient was not ready for a bone marrow transplant. Three hours later (no joke) I get a call saying that it was a mistake and that the patient does need the transplant!
Before the donation I had to get numerous blood tests, urine samples, x-ray's, ekg's, and a physical exam. I also had to go to the hospital every morning to get 2 shots of neupogen in my arm for 5 days. I was in a ton of pain because of the medicine....and I refused all the pain medication they offered me (what can I say...I'm a pretty stubborn person!). Basically you feel like you have a horrible case of the flu and your back hurts, your ribs, everything! I would stand up and the pain would just shoot through my entire body and I wouldn't be able to move! But I remembered why I was doing it, and it made everything more bearable.
Blood getting drawn from my 14 gauge IV. HUGE IV! The PICC nurse had
to place my IV's using an ultrasound! Apparently I only had 2 good
veins in one arm, and only 1 good one in the other.
The machine that filtered my stem cells and took my blood out and put it back in. :)
I am not allowed to donate any blood for the next year in case my donor needs more cells from me. Also...once we hit the year point we both have the opportunity to meet each other! Exciting! Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!
My bag of stem cells. A second chance at life for someone :)
After the procedure with all my bandages. Thanks Amrita for keeping me company during the procedure.
Date Accomplished: August 4th, 2009




0 comments:
Post a Comment