Milford Sound
Our ride for the day
The Milford Wanderer
When we arrived at the dock we took our daypacks onto the Milford Wanderer, our home for the night. I am prone to being sea sick, but the waters didn't look too rough in photos so I figured I would be okay. Boy was I wrong!
My face in this photo is priceless...I am thinking, "I need my dramamine stat!"
It only took a few minutes before I knew I was in trouble. We first headed to the dining area where we were given a safety brief, and then given some lunch. I couldn't even think about eating because all I wanted to do was hurl over the side of the boat. I was crossing my fingers that I had packed my dramamine in my daypack. After lunch we headed to our cabins, which consisted of 2 bunk beds, and a curtain as a door. Our bathrooms were outside, and we had a little co-ed communal shower area inside the boat.
Our view from our cabin
I took my dramamine and decided to check out the boat before the meds zonked me out. I went to the top of the boat and saw Claire & Beks (our roommies) hanging out as well. Claire was just as sick as I was! I was sad that she wasn't feeling well either, but I was also glad that I wasn't alone.
The sickies on the left (Me with Claire), and Beks on the right
We went around Milford Sound, and even went under one of the waterfalls! COLD! It was quite windy, and the dramamine was kicking in so I headed back down to my cabin. There was an included activity that allowed people to either take a small motor boat ride around Milford Sound or to go kayaking. I wish I could tell you that I did one of them, but I didn't. I was snoozing in my bed! Oh those drugs! When I woke up the last of the kayak groups were heading out.
One of my rare happy moments on the boat
Still extremely groggy I headed to the dining area to wait for people to get back from their excursions. I ended up taking another nap in the dining area before Jen came back from her excursion. We had a zombie-like dinner with two of us barely able to talk. It was lights out by 10PM, so after dinner and playing a few board games I headed back to my cabin. I popped in another dramamine and slept like a baby.
Waterfalls after the rain
It rained during the evening so we woke to hundreds of waterfalls trickling down the cliffs! We had our breakfast before heading back to the dock. The ride back was treacherous. The boat was rocking 10x more than the day before. I was so glad when we finally docked, I would have kissed the ground if I wasn't such a germaphobe! I definitely was not born with sea legs!
Date Accomplished: May 17th, 2009


3 comments:
We lucked out during our Milford Sound tour b/c it rained all the way there and just as we arrived, the clouds cleared. Wisps of the clouds still clung to the peaks and the waterfalls were full. But I'm sorry you got seasick. I've gotten to the point where I experience motion sickness a lot more as I get older and it's no fun.
I wish someone could come up with a motion sickness pill that didn't make you want to sleep for eternity! My friend always has to take one when she flies somewhere so she always spends a day recovering from the flight.
I never got motion sickness as a kid, it's only really bothered me the last few years. During my last long haul trip I used dramamine, benadryl, motion sickness patches (that I had prescribed by my travel doc), and these motion sickness pressure point wrist bands. I only threw up ONCE! That is good thing for me!
I am fortunate that I can sleep a ton on a flight, and I try not to take my sleepy meds near the end of my flight. Then the first few nights in a new area I take Benadryl at night to help with the jet lag.
Post a Comment